Guildford Labour Party It's time for Labour in Guildford and the villages
These are critical times for residents of Tillingbourne.
We have major national challenges which we see playing out on our own doorstep: the energy crisis, water shortages and cost of living challenges.
At a local level:
- We have major decisions being made on housing
- We see villages such as Gomshall losing their commercial heart
- Guildford North Street languishes with no decisions being made on its future
- And worsening public transport and more expensive car parking.
We need local councillors who can speak up and represent residents so that our Council can be held to account. We need a Council which is well-run, provides support to those most in need and protects our public services.
Labour has shown that it can take seats and be a voice in Guildford. The by-election is an opportunity to vote for a party and a candidate who lives in the ward and will be accessible and represent you.
A little more about me. I have lived for 20 years in Surrey and my home is in Sutton Abinger. My three grown up daughters went to local primary and secondary state schools, and I have had a career working in and for public services. I have recently become a Non-Executive Director for NHS Surrey Heartlands. I feel very fortunate to have lived in such a beautiful county and, if elected as a councillor, my commitment to all residents would be:
- To work hard for every resident to represent you on any issue you need to raise with Guildford Council and to be accessible to listen to the key issues facing our villages in Tillingbourne
- Where there is new housing and town centre development, to ensure it protects our green space, includes affordable housing and is designed to be sustainable and homes where people would want to live
- To prioritise water supply and take on discussions with Thames Water about Netley Mill Water Treatment. Thames Water boasted two years ago about its £55m upgrade to Guildford’s Water Supply. Since then we have experienced worsening supply and a quiet, inactive Council
- To bring our park and ride bus services back to where they should be. The Merrow Park and Ride bus service has been dreadful over the last 12 months and The Spectrum 100 bus service removed. This is a Council with little interest in impact on a green and sustainable future or making access to the Town Centre manageable and affordable
- To use my 35 years of public service to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Guildford Council.
However, you choose to vote, please do take the time as it really can make a difference.
John Marsh, Labour Candidate