As a new voter, you're now entitled to vote in next year's National and Local elections.
The Guildford Labour Party has been working hard for young people in Guildford for the past few years. We've held debates and events at Surrey University, helped students in registering to vote, supported The Boileroom during its license review and recently visited the ACM to look at the fantastic work they're doing with young musicians.
We'd like you to join us in our work to make Guildford and Britain a fairer place to live, and you can do so by joining us from just £1 a year:
The Labour Party will ensure a better future for young people by doing the following if elected:
- Introducing a new gold standard Technical Baccalaureate for 16 to 19-year-olds, with rigorous vocational qualifications, accredited by employers, a high quality work placement and English and maths to 18
- Introduce new Technical Degrees as the pinnacle of this new vocational route, ensuring that young people who excel in vocational skills have opportunities to progress to high level training that sets them up for a career
- We will increase the number of apprenticeships, asking all firms that bid for major government procurement contracts to provide new apprenticeship opportunities for the next generation.
- Guarantee a real, paid, starter job to every 18 to 24 year old who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than a year, and for every adult aged 25 and over who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than two years
- Votes for 16 year olds
- We will get 200,000 homes built a year by 2020 and give priority to first-time buyers, giving young people a chance to get on the property ladder
- We will protect renters by banning letting agents from charging fees to tenants which are often extortionate and unnecessary
This is of course just a taste of what we will do for young people. In Guildford itself we have stated that all employers should be paying a Living Wage to workers, and have opposed the unfair Bedroom Tax on Guildford Council whilst it continues to be supported by the Tories and Lib Dems.
Help us make a fairer society and join the Guildford Labour Party today!